Earlier this month, World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (WATCH) announced its nominees in the 2018 edition of their “10 Worst Toys” list to help consumers avoid purchasing the most dangerous child products available in stores and on the internet this holiday season. This non-profit organization has been spreading awareness about the issue of dangerous toys for more than 40 years. However, there are several types of dangers that continue to exist in toys today, such as small parts, rigid plastic materials, projectiles, long strings, toxic substances, and inadequate labeling.
Here are the “10 Worst Toys of 2018” by WATCH (not in particular order):
- Marvel Black Panther Slash Claw – Marketed to children five years of age or older to slash like the Marvel superhero, the “claws” of the toy can extend. Despite warnings not to hit or swing at anyone, the toy can cause eye and face injuries when done so.
- Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster – Kids at least eight years old can shoot ten discs simultaneously with this toy gun. But these projectiles can cause eye and face injuries.
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade – The plastic blade of this toy sword is spring loaded, which can potentially result in blunt force trauma, as well as eye and face injuries.
- Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket – Children as young as six years of age can launch this toy rocket up to 200 feet in the air. However, if the rocket is aimed at another person’s face or body, the impact can cause eye, face, and other injuries to the body.
- Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleeptime Lites – While being advertised for babies as a nightlight, the toy pillow should not be left in the crib since there is a warning regarding battery acid leakage. In addition, the toy comes with small accessories, which can be removed and ingested by an infant.
- Chien Á Promener Pull Along Dog – Even though industry regulations require stings on toys to be 12 inches long at most, the length of this pull toy is 19 inches. Strings attached to toys can result in injuries related to entanglement and strangulation.
- Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll – For infants as young as two, the doll wears a headband which can be removed and ingested. There are no warnings on the packaging.
- NICI Wonderland Doll: Miniclara The Ballerina – The doll comes with an accessory in the shape of a small kitten, which can detach and pose as a choking hazard if ingested.
- Cutting Fruit – The knife sold with the toy to cut the magnetic fruits in half is made of hard plastic, which can cause blunt force trauma and puncture-related injuries.
- Zoo Jamz Xylophone – For babies as young as one and half years old, there are no warnings about the drumstick handle attached with the toy, which can pose as a choking hazard.
If your child suffered an injury caused by a dangerous or defective toy in Missouri, our Kansas City product liability attorney at Bertram & Graf, L.L.C. can determine whether or not you are entitled to financial compensation. Contact us and schedule a free consultation for more information today.